The Nageshwarnath Temple, built in Ayodhya in honour of the local god Lord Nageshwarnath, is close to the Theri Bazaar. It is thought that Kush or Kusha, Lord Rama’s son, was responsible for setting it up.
Although this holy place has been well-maintained since 750 AD, it is believed that Safar Jung’s minister, Naval Rai, rebuilt the existing temple around 1750. According to legend, Kush lost his arm ring in the neighbourhood bath and ended up running into a Shiva devotee by the name of Naga Kanya.
He built this Shaiva temple for Naga Kanya after knowing the latter was in love with him. In Southern India, during Mahashivaratri and Trayodashi, also known as Pradosh Vrat or Pradosh Vratam, the Nageshwarnath Temple draws many pilgrims. A major draw in this area is the Shiva Barat or procession of Lord Shiva.
Join the family of 3000+ Happy travellers!